Thursday, October 6, 2011

Blog 5: DFW, "Address to Kenyon College"

This article was very interesting to read. I found that many of David Foster Wallace's points to be true. I wish that I was able to hear this speech in person. The one thing that I did not get was the in very beginning of the piece, when he talks about the two fish. While reading that I was thinking, what did the fish have to do with anything? Maybe if someone explains this in simpler terms for me I will understand it. There was one part of the article that stuck out to me, when he was talking about the two men in the bar, the religious man and the atheist. When the atheist told his story about him being stuck in the blizzard, and he prayed for the first time, I thought that since he got out of the blizzard alive, the he would start to believe in God. That was not the correct guess, because he said that the only reason that he got out of the blizzard was because of the Eskimos that told him the right way to go. My way of thinking would have been that God sent the Eskimos to help out the atheist, but that was not his interpretation of the whole thing. Like David said, there is always two sides to a story, and you should not be so arrogant when thinking about things. All in all, I thought that this was an interesting article to read and I would love to read more of his speeches, if there are anymore out there.

1 comment:

  1. yes, the self-certainty of the atheist is troubling, just as the self-certainty of religious zealots is troubling. For example, the way some describe natural disasters as the result of our sins against God.

    ReplyDelete